Access

You are not currently logged in.

Access your personal account or get JSTOR access through your library or other institution:

login

Log in to your personal account or through your institution.

If You Use a Screen Reader

This content is available through Read Online (Free) program, which relies on page scans. Since scans are not currently available to screen readers, please contact JSTOR User Support for access. We'll provide a PDF copy for your screen reader.

The Danish Ombudsman

Henry J. Abraham
The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science
Vol. 377, The Ombudsman or Citizen's Defender: A Modern Institution (May, 1968), pp. 55-61
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1038141
Page Count: 7
  • Read Online (Free)
  • Download ($40.00)
  • Subscribe ($19.50)
  • Cite this Item
Since scans are not currently available to screen readers, please contact JSTOR User Support for access. We'll provide a PDF copy for your screen reader.
The Danish Ombudsman
Preview not available

Abstract

On every conceivable count, Denmark's Ombudsman institution has proved itself to be an unqualified success. In large measure, this has been due to the superb and sagacious performance of the first Ombudsman, who is still the incumbent of the office, and who has succeeded in establishing a thoroughly wholesome and sympathetic climate for both the office and the institution. He has charted a conservative course that has made the Ombudsman entirely palatable to all official and lay segments of Denmark's homogeneous community, including its perceptive and influential press. The Danish Ombudsman's authority extends to every facet of public life except the judiciary (and certain aspects of municipal government). To date, every complaint lodged with the Ombudsman not only has been adjudicated, but has been adjudicated promptly, courteously, and efficaciously. Approximately 90 per cent of all cases are dismissed after due consideration, with the remaining 10 per cent treated on their merits. The specific recommendations of the Ombudsman have been accepted in each case to date-a tribute to Professor Stephan Hurwitz and his small, dedicated staff. The Danish institution of the Ombudsman has thus, deservedly, become a model for a host of related schemes throughout the free world.

Page Thumbnails

  • Thumbnail: Page 
55
    55
  • Thumbnail: Page 
56
    56
  • Thumbnail: Page 
57
    57
  • Thumbnail: Page 
58
    58
  • Thumbnail: Page 
59
    59
  • Thumbnail: Page 
60
    60
  • Thumbnail: Page 
61
    61