You are not currently logged in.
Access your personal account or get JSTOR access through your library or other institution:
Notes and References
This item contains 45 references.
1Free Enquirer, May 3, I830.
2Wrifings (National Edition), vol. iii, p. 30.
3W. E. Dodd, Expansion and Conflict (N. Y., 1915), p. 208.
1This reference contains 10 citations:
- T. H. Benton, Thirty Years' View, vol. ii, p. 206
- A. C. Coleman, Life of John J. Critten- den (Philadelphia, 1873), vol. i, p. 127
- N. Y. Express, May 9, 1840
- Henry Clay, Works (Federal Edition), vol. viii, p. 159
- A. C. Cole, Whig Party in the South (Washington, 1913), p. 6i
- Albany Argus, May 8, I3, 1828
- A. W. Calhoun, Social History of the American Family (Cleveland, 1917), vol. ii, p. i88
- Memoir of Frances Wright (Cincinnati, I855)
- J. R. Commons and associates, History of Labor (N. Y., 1918), vol. i, pp. 354-356
- F. W. Seward, Life of Seward (N. Y., I89I). vol. i, p. 388
1A. de Tocqueville, Democracy in America (Cambridge, I863), vol. i, p. 228.
2This reference contains 8 citations:
- F. Marryat, Diary, second series (Philadelphia, 1840), p. 156
- M. H. Grinnell, R. M. Blatchford, R. C. Wet- more, and other business men, who hired about 200 "floaters " from Philadelphia at $22 each in the campaign of I838
- Rough Hewer, Oct. 30, 1840
- G. Myers, History of Tammany Hall (N, Y., 1901), pp. 140-14I
- H. Ketchum to 0. Follett, Sept. 13, 1832, Follett Papers in Quar- terly Pub. of the Hist. and Phil. Soc. of Ohio, vol. v, pp. 53-54
- G. Myers, op. cit., pp. 107-I08
- D. S. Alexander, Political History of the State of New York (N. Y., 1909), vol. i, p. 395
- Thurlow Weed, Autobiography (Boston, I884), pp. 448, 476- 477, 503, 504
1F. J. Grund, Aristocracy in America (London, I839), vol. i, p. 221.
2F. Byrdsall, Origin and History of the Loco-Foco Party (N. Y., I842).
3This reference contains 2 citations:
- The preemption laws were made permanent in I841
- G. M. Stephenson, The Political History of the Public Lands from I840 to I86o (Boston, I9I8), chap. iii.
4Senate Documents, 52d Cong., 2d Sess., Report 5394 (Report of Mr. Aldrich from Committee on Finance, 5893), pt. i, pp. I0, 14.
2Edgar Dawson, "The Origin of the American Whig Party," History Teachers' Magazine, vol. ii, pp. 160-I6I.
3John Leland to G. N. Briggs. Jan. 12, I836, Writings of the Late Elder John Leland (N. Y., I845), p. 675.
4Works, vol. viii, pp. 205-206.
1Remarks of Mr. Christopher Morgan of N. Y.. . . March 26, I840 (N. Y., I840).
2This reference contains 2 citations:
- Springfield Republican, Sept. 29, Oct. 6, 13, Nov. I0, 1838
- June 1, 1839
3" When This Old Hat Was New," Log-Cabin Songbook, p. 66.
4Quoted in Springfield Republican, Feb. 10, 1838.
5Quoted in New Haven Palladium, June 1, 1840.
6New York Tribune, Nov. 3, 1846.
7This reference contains 2 citations:
- H. Greeley to W. L. Stone, Jr., in the latter's Life of William L. Stone, p. 98
- Rough Hewer, Aug. 13, 1840.
1This reference contains 2 citations:
- C. A. Beard, Economic Interpretation of the Constitution (N. Y., 1913)
- Economic Origins of Jeffersonian Democracy (N. Y., I9I5)
2E. Williams, New York Annual Register (N. Y., 1830-1843)
1Albany Argus, Extra, Sept. 14, 1834.
1Quoted in Argus, March 3, 1828
2Autobiography, p. 55.
3Walter Barrett (J. A. Scoville), Old Merchants of New York City (N. Y., I863), vol. i, p. 8i.
4F. Hudson, History of Journalism in the United States (N. Y., 1873), pp. 4I6- 428.
5E. Williams, N. Y. Annual Register, 1835, p. 129.
1F. Hudson, Joumalism in the United States, p. 525.
2This reference contains 5 citations:
- H. Greeley, Recollections of a Busy Life (N. Y., i868), pp. 136, 137
- Whigs, such as the Jeffersonian (Feb. 17, I838-Feb. 9, 1839)
- Log Cabin (May 27, i84o-Nov. 20, 1841)
- Rough Hewer (Feb. 20-Dec. 24, 1840)
3W. Barrett, Old Merchants, vol. i, p. 25
4This reference contains 5 citations:
- F. Hudson, op. cit., pp. 345, 397, 411
- Memoirs of James Gordon Bennett (N. Y., I855), (anon.) pp. I60o-63, 170-172
- W. L. Mackenzie, The Lives and Opinions of B. F. Butler and Jesse Hoyt (Boston, 1845), pp. 90, 93
- E. E. Hale, Jr., William H. Seward (Phil., I910), p. 97
- 0. Follett to J. Hoxie, Feb. 6, 1832
5Wm. Hallock, Life of Gerard Hallock (N. Y., I869), pp. 63-64.
6F. Hudson, op. cit., pp. 344-362.
1F. Hudson, op. cit., pp. 517-520.
2Ibid., p. 442.
3W. L. Stone, Jr., The Life and Writings of William Leete Stone (published with W. L. Stone, Sr., Life and Times of Red Jacket) (N. Y., I866), pp. 9, II, I2, i6, i8.
4This reference contains 2 citations:
- New York to Niagara, Buffalo Hist. Soc. Pub., vol. xiv, p. 240
- W. L. Stone, Jr., op. cit., p. 25
5This reference contains 4 citations:
- Using Hudson's Journalism in the United States, pp. 225, 226, 282, and I
- Thomas's History of Printing (Worcester, i8io), vol. ii, p. 519
- "Newspapers" in Encyc. Brit. (11th ed.)
- B. Gardenier in Nat. Cyc. of Am. Biog., vol. xiii, p. 433; and American Almanac, I835 (Boston), p. 282.
1This reference contains 3 citations:
- F. J. Grund, Aristocracy in America, vol. ii, p. 125
- W. Barrett, Old Merchants, vol. i, p. 25
- op. cit., vol. i, p. 311
2This reference contains 8 citations:
- E. Williams, New York Annual Register (I83I-1840)
- 0. L. Holley, New York State Register (Albany, I843)
- New York Evening Post, Nov. 10, I828, Nov. I2, 26, 1836
- New York Morning Courier, Nov. 11, 1828
- The first three wards had been Federalist in the War of I812
- New York Evening Post, April 30, 1810
- May 4, 1816
- W. A. Pelletreau, Early New York Houses (N. Y., 1901), p. 78
1D. T. Valentine's Manual of the Corporation of New York, i841, pp. 49, i84
2These figures are taken from the census of the State of New York, 1845, as given in 0. L. Holley, New York State Register, I846, p. IO9
1D. R. Fox, The Negro Vote in Old New York, POLITICAL SCIENCE QUAR- TERLY, vol. xxxii, no. 2. pp. 252-275.
1This reference contains 12 citations:
- Joel Munsell's Annals of Albany (2d edi- tion, Albany, 1870), vol. ii, pp. 361-362
- 0. L. Holley, New York State Register for 1843, p. 69, for i845, p. 69, and for 1846, p. Io7
- New York Tribune, Nov. 4, 1846
- 0. L. Holley, N. Y. State Register for 1843, p. 82, and for 1846, p. IO7
- E. Williams, N. Y. Annual Register for 1836, p. 95, and for 1840, p. 222
- New York Evening Post, Nov. 4, 1836
- 0. L. Holley, N. Y. State Register for i845, p. 76, and for i846, p. I03
- Rochester Daily Advertiser, Nov. 5, 1846
- 0. L. Holley, N. Y. State Registerfor z846, p. 109
- 0. L. Holley, N. Y. State Register for 1843, p. 92, and for 1846, p. II4
- E. Williams, AN. Y. Annual Register for 1840, p. 229
- 0. L. Holley, A. Y. State Regis/erfor -45, p. 91