The Rheinisches Museum für Philologie, Geschichte und griechische Philosophie was founded by Barthold Georg Niebuhr, August Böckh and Christian August Brandis in 1827; volumes appeared until 1829/32. From 1832/33 until 1839 the journal was continued by Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker und August Ferdinand Naeke as Rheinisches Museum für Philologie. In 1842 the New Series was started by Friedrich Ritschl and Welcker, and it has continued until today. Hence the Rheinisches Museum für Philologie is the oldest journal devoted to Classics that is still in existence. Since the beginning it has published scholarly articles (in German, English, French, Italian and Latin) on the languages, literature and history of the Greek and Roman world and its reception. Today the journal has an international scope with contributors and subscribers all over the world. To maintain the journal’s traditional high academic standards all submissions are reviewed prior to publication by at least two scholars who are experts in the respective fields.
Coverage: 1832-2013 (1. Jahrg. - 156. Bd., H. 3/4)
The "moving wall" represents the time period between the last issue
available in JSTOR and the most recently published issue of a journal.
Moving walls are generally represented in years. In rare instances, a
publisher has elected to have a "zero" moving wall, so their current
issues are available in JSTOR shortly after publication.
Note: In calculating the moving wall, the current year is not counted.
For example, if the current year is 2008 and a journal has a 5 year
moving wall, articles from the year 2002 are available.
Terms Related to the Moving Wall
Fixed walls: Journals with no new volumes being added to the archive.
Absorbed: Journals that are combined with another title.
Complete: Journals that are no longer published or that have been
combined with another title.