You are not currently logged in.
Access JSTOR through your library or other institution:
March Meeting, 1921. Gifts to the Society; Caleb Davis and His Funeral Dinner; The "Character" and the Historian; Samuel Abbott Green
You can always find the topics here!Topics: Moral character, Funerals, Meetings, Writers, Churches, Sons, Governors, Towns, Wine bottles, Merchants
Select the topics that are inaccurate.
Notes and References
This item contains 16 references.
1This reference contains 6 citations:
- Ra(lph) Johnson, The Scholars Guide, etc., 15.
- Overbury (1614)
- his Miscellaneous Works, ed. E. F. Rimbault, London, 1856, 168-169
- S. Person, An Anatomicall Lecture of Man . . . in Essays and Characters (1664)
- Richard Flecknoe, Fifty-five Enig- matical Characters (1665)
- Seventy-eight Characters of so many Vertuous and Vitious Persons, 1677.
2This reference contains 3 citations:
- Kirkman and Head, in The English Rogue, 1665
- Head in Proteus Redivivus, 1675
- author of Hickdty-PickeUy in 1708.
1Donald Lupton's London and the Country, etc., 1632
1Henry Morley, Character Writings of the Seventeenth Century, 49-50.
2This reference contains 2 citations:
- Sir R. C. Jebb's edition (revised by J. E. Sandys) of The Characters of Theophrastus, London, 1909
- G. S. Gordon, "Theophrastus and his Imitators, " in English Literature and the Classics, a group of essays collected by G. S. Gordon, Oxford, 1912.
3G. S. Gordon, as cited above, 64-65.
4This reference contains 2 citations:
- S. M. Tucker, Verse Satire in England before the Renaissance, New York, 1908 (Columbia doctoral dissertation)
- C. H. Herford, Studies in the Literary Relations of England and Germany in the Sixteenth Century, Cambridge (England) University Press, 1886.
1This reference contains 8 citations:
- Nicholas Breton (The Good and the Bad, 1616)
- Geoffrey Mynshul (Essayes and Characters of a Prison and Prisoners, 1618)
- Richard Brathwait (Essaies upon the Five Senses, 1619)
- John Taylor, the "Water Poet," Henry Parrot (Cures for the Itch, Characters, Epigrams, Epitaphs, 1626)
- R. M. (Micrologia, 1629)
- Wye Saltonstall (Picturae Loquentes, 1631)
- Donald Lupton (London and the Country carbonadoed and quartered into severall Characters, 1632)
- William Habington (Costara, 1634).
2Catalogue of the Pamphlets, Books, Newspapers, and Manuscripts relating to the Civil War, the Commonwealth, and Restoration, collected by George Thomason, 1640-1661, 2 vols., London, 1908.
3This reference contains 19 citations:
- Anatomy of the Separatists, 1641
- Description of the Round-Head and Rattlehead, 1642
- A Right Character of a true Subject, 1642
- Character of an Antimalignant, or Right Parliamentier; expressing plainly his Opinion concerning King and Parliament, 1645
- John Geree, The Character of an Old English Puritan, 1646
- Character of a Cavalier, 1647
- Character of an Agitator, 1647
- Character of a Time-serving Saint, 1652
- The Character of France, 1659
- A Character of England, 1659
- A Brief Character of the Low Coun- tries, 1659
- The Character of Italy: or, the Italian Anatomiz'd by an English Chirur- gion, 1660
- Confused Characters of Conceited Coxcombs, 1661
- The True Character of a Rigid Presbyter, 1661
- Character of a Quaker, 1671
- Poor Robin's Character of a Dutch-man, 1672
- The Character of a Coffee-House, with the Symptoms of a Town-Wit, 1673
- The Character of an Honest Lawyer, 1676
- Character of a Town- Miss, 1680.
1Samuel Butler, Characters and Passages from Note-Books, ed. A. R. Waller, Cambridge, (England), 1908.
2This reference contains 3 citations:
- The English Theophrastus . . . being the Modern Characters of the Court, the Town, and the City, 1692
- The Reformer, exposing the Vices of the Age, in Several Characters, 1700
- Mars Stript of his Armour (a collection of 24 military characters, such as a Major, a Captain, etc.) (By Edward Ward.) London, 1709
3This reference contains 8 citations:
- Character of a Jacobite, 1690
- The Trimming Court Divine, 1690
- Character of a Whig, 1700
- An English Monster; or, the Character of an Occasional Conformist, 1703
- The Beau's Character, 1706
- True Picture of a Modern Whig, 1707
- The Character of a true Churchman, 1711
- Character of an Honest Dissenter, 1715
1Publications of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, XIV., 213-257.
1Henry Morley, Character Writings of the Seventeenth Century, 255.