Description: The Bulletin began publication in 1914, two years before the museum opened to the public. At first it published regular information on museum affairs as well as acquisitions, but with the directorship of Sherman Lee, which began in 1958, it concentrated on research on collections and accessions; two issues were devoted to the annual report and the catalogue of an exhibition of regional contemporary art each year. Newly acquired works were published promptly, briefly or at length, and substantial monographs on objects of special interest also appeared, notably Henry Hawley's investigations in the European decorative arts. Primarily a forum for the curatorial staff, the Bulletin also welcomed a few authors from outside the museum, but topics were usually related to the museum collection. Until publication ceased in 1995 the Bulletin contributed regularly to art historical scholarship and maintained a record of the museum's intellectual life.