You are not currently logged in.
Access JSTOR through your library or other institution:
The Uniform Negotiable Instruments Law. Is It Producing Uniformity and Certainty in the Law Merchant?
You can always find the topics here!Topics: Uniform laws, Negotiable instruments, Statutory law, Common law, Merchants, Plaintiffs, Defendants, Banks, Checks, Prices
Select the topics that are inaccurate.
Notes and References
This item contains 89 references.
1Bentham's letters are in Vol. IVJeremy Bentham's works (Edinburgh, 1843), pp. 453-530
2Sir Leslie Stephens' Life of Bentham, p. 221.
3'The Ideal and the Actual in the Law," by James C. Carter, Vol. XIII, Reports of American Bar Association, p. 244 (1890)
5"The Necessity for Uniformity in the Laws Governing Commercial Paper," by Henry C. Tompkins, Vol. XIII, Reports of American Bar Associa- tion, p. 247 (1890)
6This reference contains 2 citations:
- Address of Judge Lyman D. Brewster on "Uniform State Laws," Vol. XXI, Reports of American Bar Association, p. 323.
- Address of Judge Lyman D. Brewster on Uniform State Laws, Reports, Vol. XXI, of American Bar Association, pp. 329, 330.
7Stephens' Life of Bentham, p. 230
8Lloyd's Bank v. Cooke [I907], i K. B. 794.
9This reference contains 3 citations:
- Ploeg v. Van Zuuk, 135 Ia. 350
- s. c., 112 N. W. 807
- S. C., 13 L. R. A. (N. S.) 490.
10Lloyd's Bank v. Cooke , I K. B. 79+
111b. 799, 8oo.
12Pleog v. Van Zuuk, 135 Ia. 350 (1907).
13Ib., pp. 358, 359
14Herdman v. Wheeler [x902], I K B. 36I.
15loyd's Bank v. Cooke [i9o7], i K. B. 794.
16[igo], i K. B. 36I.
17i907], i K B. 794
18Lewis v. Clay , 67 L. J. (Q. B.)224
19Russel v. Langstaffe, 2 Doug. 514 (1780).
20iolett v. Patton, 5 Cranch, I42 (i8o0).
21This reference contains 10 citations:
- Accord: Bank v. Curry, 2 Dana i42 (x834)
- Fullerton v. Sturges, 4 Oh. St. 53o (1855)
- Page v. Morrell, *42 N. Y. II7 (i866)
- notes 22-34
- Bowles Co. v. Fraser, Io9 Pac. 812 (I9io)
- Daniels on Negotiable Instruments (2d Ed.), §§174-I76
- Munroe v. Bordier, 8 Manning, Granger & Scott, 862 (I849)
- S. C. 65 E. C. L. R. 86I
- South Boston Iron Co. v. Brown, 63 Me. I39.
- annotation of this case in present issue, post, p. 508.
22Bank v. Vagliano [I89T], A. C. 107.
Hartington Bank v. Breslin, I28 N. W. 659 (igio).
23Russel v. Langstaffe, 2 Dougl. 514 (I78o)
24This reference contains 2 citations:
- Accord: Joseph v. Bank, I7 Ark. 256 (I876)
- White-Wilson, &c., Co. v. Egelhoff, 13I S. W. 208 (I9IO) (Ark.).
25This reference contains 4 citations:
- Angle v. N. W. Mut. Life Ins. Co., 92 U. S., at p. 338 (I875)
- Violett v. Patton, 5 Cranch, 42 (809)
- Michigan Bank v. Eldred, g Wall. 544
- Goodman v. Simonds, 20 How. 361 (i857)
26Frank v. Lilienfeld, 33 Grattan 377 (I873).
27Greenfield Bank v. Stowell, I23 Mass. I96 (I876).
28Bank v. Curry, 2 Dana (Ky.) i42 (I834).
29Fullerton v. Sturges, 4 Ohio St. 529 (1855).
30This reference contains 5 citations:
- M itchell v. Culver, 7 Cowen 336 (I827)
- (obiter), Weyerhauser v. Dun, I00 N. Y. I50 (i885)
- (obiter), Redlich v. Doll, 54 N. Y. 234 (I873)
- Page v. Morrell, 3 Keyes, II7 (I866)
- Chemung, &c., Bank v. Bradner, 44 N. Y. 68o (1871).
31This reference contains 2 citations:
- Boyd v. McCann, io Md. ii8 (I856), (name of payee), (semble)
- Elliott v. Chestnut, 30 Md. 562 (I869), (name of payee inserted with leave of Court).
32Shultz v. Payne, 7 La. Ann.222 (1852), (date).
33untington v. Bank, 3 Ala. i86 (I84I), (entirely blank).
34Waldron v. Young, 9 Heiskill 777 (i872), (time note to run).
35This reference contains 2 citations:
- Johns v. Harrison, 20 Ind. 3I7 (I863), (time note to run)
- Emmons v. Meeker, 55 Ind. 321 (I876)
36(Semble), Fanning v. Bank, i6 Miss. I39 (I847).
37ity of Chicago v. Gage, 95 III. 593 (I880), (applying the principle to a non-negotiable bond).
bWessel v. Glenn, io8 Pa. I04 (1884).
38(Obiter), Bank v. Hyde, 13 Conn. 279 (I839).
39This reference contains 3 citations:
- Inglish v. Breneman, 5 Ark. 377 (i843)
- 9 Ark. I22 (I848).
- Overton v. Matthews, 35 Ark. I46, 154 (I879).
40This reference contains 4 citations:
- Awde v. Dixon, 6 Ex. Rep. 869 (i85I)
- S. C., I Ames' Cas. 7I5
- Hatch v. Searles, 2 Smale & Gifford I47 (I854)
- S. C., i Ames' Cases 7I8.
42This reference contains 5 citations:
- Chalmer's Digest (7th Ed.), p. 53
- Awde v. Dixon, 6 Exch. 869 (185I)
- Hanbury v. Lovett, i8 L. T. N. S. 366 (I868)
- Oakley v. Boulton, 5 Times L. R. 6o (i888)
- d Sec. 20
43This reference contains 2 citations:
- Guerrant v. Guerrant, 7 Va. Law Reg. 642 (I902)
- Boston Steel, &c., Co. v. Steuer, I83 Mass. I40 (I9o3 )
442 Illinois Law Review, p. 148.
46This reference contains 12 citations:
- Chester v. Dorr, 4I N. Y. 279 (I869)
- East River Bank v. Butterworth, 45 Barb. 476 (i866)
- Si N. Y. 637 (i872)
- Bower v. Hastings, 36 Pa. 285 (i86o)
- Peale v. Addicks, 174 Pa. 549 (I896)
- Hoffman v. Foster, 43 Pa. 137 (i862)
- Cottrell v. Watkins, 89 Va. 8oi (I893)
- Kellogg v. Barton, 94 Mass. 527 (i866)
- Bacon v. Harris, I5 R. I. 599 (I887)
- Strauss v. Friend, 73 Ga. 782 (1884)
- 57 Am. Law Register, Vol. 57, p. 662 (I909)
- England in Parr v. Jewell, i6 C. B. 684 (I855)
47This reference contains 6 citations:
- Charles v. Marsden, I Taunt. 224 (i8o8)
- Sturtevant v. Ford, 4 M. & G. IOI (I842)
- Carruthers v. West, 11 Ad. & El., (N. S.) 143 (1847)
- Warr v. Jewell, Io C. B. 684 [I855])
- Stein v. Yglesias, I C. M. & R. 565 (1834)
- Jewell v. Parr, I3 Com. Bench gog (I853)
48This reference contains 10 citations:
- Connerly v. Ins. Co., 66 Ala. 432 (i880)
- Battle v. Weems, 44 Ala. 105 [I870])
- Warder v. Gibbs, 92 Mich. 29 (I892)
- Miller v. Larned, I03 Ill. 562, 573 (i882)
- Naef v. Potter, 226 Ill. 628 (I907)
- Professor Greely in 2 Illinois Law Review, p. 150
- Hon. J. W. Mack given in 1 Illinois Law Review, pp. 597, 598
- Seyfert v. Edison, 45 N. J. (Law) 393 (1883)
- Dunn v. Weston, 71 Me. 270 (I88o)
- note in 57 Am. Law Register, Vol. 57, p. 662 (I909).
50Charles v. Marsden, i Taunt. 224 (I&08)
51This reference contains 3 citations:
- Marling v. Jones, 138 Wis. 82 (Igog)
- s. c., tI N. W. 93i
- Mer- sick v. Alderman, 77 Conn. 634 (igo5).
52Brannan, "The Negotiable Instruments Law" (2d Ed.), p. 38.
53This reference contains 2 citations:
- 1 Taunton, 224 (I8o8)
- s. c. I Ames' Cases, 748
54This reference contains 2 citations:
- Chester v. Dorr, 4I N. Y. 279
- Cottrell v. Watkins, 89 Virginia 80I
55Brannan (2d Ed.), pp. 36, 37
56"The Negotiable Instruments Law" (2d Ed.),p. 38
57ante, notes 46, 47, 48.
58Naef v. Potter, 226 Ill. 628 (19Q7)
59This reference contains 2 citations:
- Norton on Bills, &c., pp. 234-235
- Bigelow on Bills & Notes, pp. 229-231.
60This reference contains 2 citations:
- lar v. Kostiuk, 119 N. Y. Supp.683 (1909).
- In New York by Laws of I892, p. I869 c. 689
61This reference contains 2 citations:
- Bowyer v. Bampton, 2 Strange II55 (I74I)
- s. c., i Ames Cas. on Bills & Notes, 399
62This reference contains 7 citations:
- Lowe v. Waller, 2 Doug. 736 (I78I)
- City of Aurora v. West, 22 Ind. 88
- Cazet v. Field, 9 Gray 329
- Towne v. Rice, 122 Mass. 67
- Glenn v. Bank, 70 N. C. IgI
- Claflin v. Boorum, I22 N. Y. 385
- Dunlap v. Sundberg, i04 Pac. 830 (igog).
63This reference contains 2 citations:
- owyer v. Bampton, 2 Strange Il55 (I741)
- S. c., i Ames' Cas. on Bills & Notes, 399.
64This reference contains 2 citations:
- Wirt v. Stubblefield, I7 App. (D. C.) 283 (190o)
- Klar v. Kostink, 119 N. Y. Supp.683 (1909)
65This reference contains 2 citations:
- "The Negotiable Instruments Law," Annotated by Professor Bran- nan, Second Edition, Cincinnati. The W. H. Anderson Co., 1911
- Alexander v. Hazelrigg, 123 Ky. 677 (1906).
66This reference contains 4 citations:
- Alexander v. Hazelrigg, I23 Ky. 677 (I906)
- Accord: Western Nat. Bank, &c. v. State Bank, &c., I8 Col. App. 128 (1902)
- S. C. 70 Pac. Rep. 439 (1902)
- ante, note 64
67Brannan (2d Ed.), p. 65
68This reference contains 2 citations:
- B. & C. Comp., sec. I945.
- Matlock v. Scheuerman, 93 Pac. 823 (Ogo8)
69This reference contains 6 citations:
- Foster v. MacKinnon, Law Rep. 4 C. P. 704 (I869)
- I Ames' Cas. 540.
- Ames' Cas., p. 547, n. 2
- Revised Laws, o905, Sec. 2747
- Freehold Bank v. Kennedy, I48 Ill. App. 310 (I909)
- Tower v. Whip, 53 West. Va. I58 (O9m3)
70Bothell v. Miller, I28 N. W. 628 (I9IO)
71Lewis v. Clay, 14 T. Law Rep. I49 (1897)
72This reference contains 3 citations:
- Laws of Wisconsin I899, ch. 356, secs. I676-25
- Aukland v. Arnold, 131 Wis. 64 (I9o7).
- Brannan (2nd ed.), Sec. 57, p. 65.
73ante, note 64
74ante, note 64.
75This reference contains 2 citations:
- 3 Burrow I354 (1762)
- i Ames' Cas. 407
76This reference contains 2 citations:
- Price v. Neal are presented in an elaborate note in 10 L. R. A. (N. S.), pp. 49-74.
- Professor Ames on "The Doctrine of Price v. Neal" in 4 H. L. R., p. 292
77This reference contains 3 citations:
- National Bank v. First National Bank, 125 S. W. 513 (1910)
- S. C., I4i Mo. App. 719
- National Bank v. Mechanics', &c., Bank, 148 Mo. App. i (1910)
78This reference contains 2 citations:
- National Bank v. First National Bank, 125 S. W. 513 (I9IO)
- S. C., I41 Mo. App. 719.
79National Bank v, Mechanics', &c., Bank, I48 Mo. App. I (I9IO)
80Farmers', &c., Bank v. Bank of Rutherford, II5 Tenn. 64 (I9o$)
81This reference contains 2 citations:
- Williamsburgh Trust Co. v. Tum Suden, 105 N. Y. Supp.335 (1907)
- S. C., I20 App. Div. 5I8.
82Bank of Lisbon v. Wyndmere, 15 No. Dak. 299 (I906)
83Revised Code of North Dakota i899, chap. ioo, pp. I039-I060.
84This reference contains 2 citations:
- Canadian Bank of Commerce v. Bingham, 30 Wash. 484 (I902)
- s. c., 71 Pacific Rep. 43 (I902).
85State Bank of Chicago v. First Nat. Bank of Omaha, I27 N. W. 244 (xgIo).
86This reference contains 4 citations:
- Williamsburgh Trust Co. v. Tum Suden, 105 N. Y. Supp.335 (1907)
- S. C., I20 App. Dw. 5I8.
- Price v. Neal under the American Law Merchant are Bank v. Bangs, Io6 Mass. 44I (I871)
- Bank v. Bank, I5i Mass. 28o (I89o)
87This reference contains 2 citations:
- Title Guarantee, &c., Co. v. Haven, I96 N. Y. 487 ('90g)
- s. c, 89 N. E. I082.
88Cocks v. Masterman, 9 B. & C. 9o8 (I829)
89This reference contains 4 citations:
- Act of 1849 (Pamphlet Laws, i849, No. 310, Sec. io)
- Bank v. Bank, 78 Pa. 233 [I8751
- Sec. 62
- Pennsylvania today as to the meaning of Sec. 62?