After reading this chapter you should be able to:
1. recognize that all teachers have collaborative roles in implementing a wholeschool policy on discipline, both inside and beyond the classroom;
2. explain the benefits of developing a whole-school policy on discipline as a way to encourage collegial collaboration;
3. understand the phenomenon of classroom isolation and the advantages of collegial collaboration;
4. provide ideas on ways of working with your colleagues to improve students behaviour;
5. recognize the ineffectiveness of referral systems in schools.
1. What kinds of school culture and organizational structure are more favourable for encouraging collegial collaboration?
2. What types of colleagues do you like and dislike working with?
3. If you were the form tutor of a class and found that a teacher who taught your class was completely unable to manage the students’ behaviour, in what ways could you give him/her some support?
4. If you found some students’ behaviour unmanageable and intended to seek support from other colleagues, what inner feelings would you have?
5. In what ways could you work with the form tutor to improve the behaviour of a difficult student in your class?...