The Artstor website will be retired next year on August 1, 2024, but you can get started with Artstor on JSTOR now using the resources below.
Find exactly what you need: Search by media type or color (try van gogh blue), browse by collection, geography, or classification, and save as you go.
To ensure you have what you need to get started, your Artstor image groups will be copied to your JSTOR Workspace starting February 1, 2024.
Workspace replaces image groups, making it easy to save, organize, annotate, and export Artstor's images and groups along with articles, book chapters, and other images and primary sources from JSTOR.
Why is Artstor moving to JSTOR?
- JSTOR is investing in the future and sustainability of Artstor's high-quality collections and key functionality by incorporating them in one platform, where we will continue to build tools for teaching and learning as we expand access to this invaluable visual resource.
- As a mission-driven nonprofit, JSTOR works to promote and preserve the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Institutions are increasingly seeking streamlined, trustworthy, and cost-effective solutions in the changing landscape of research and education, and we are working to meet those needs by bringing diverse digital content together in a platform optimized for teaching and research.
- This is why we're bringing what we call the Artstor experience — its library and key functionalities — to JSTOR. We know that Artstor isn't just images, but also the experience of using those images, whether that involves downloading or citing, zooming or comparing, creating groups, or sharing curated content. We've already brought these features and more to JSTOR, where they will be enhanced, maintained, and joined by many more.
How do I access Artstor content on JSTOR?
Artstor users can
- If you have access to Artstor or previously registered for an account on Artstor, the same email address and password also works on JSTOR.
- If you have logged into your Artstor account within the last 120 days, you will have access to content your institution subscribes to from JSTOR and Artstor.
- If you usually log in to your Artstor account through your institution's login page, you can now do that on JSTOR as well.
Is there a difference in quality between the images on Artstor and on JSTOR?
The quality of the Artstor images you see on the JSTOR platform is the same, with the same resolution.
When is the Artstor website going away?
The Artstor website will be retired and all users will be redirected to JSTOR on August 1, 2024. Artstor's high-quality collections and key functionality are now available on JSTOR.
Will JSTOR set up redirects for Artstor image and/or image group URLs to their JSTOR counterpart?
Where can I find support materials?
We are continuously updating and adding new content on the
Will the Artstor website continue to be supported until it is retired?
Are all Artstor features available on JSTOR?
We've put together a
Where can I find more information on specific features?
How do I search for images on JSTOR?
Can I have image groups on JSTOR?
Will personal collections be supported and/or automatically moved to JSTOR?
How do I browse or search collections on JSTOR?
Will my Artstor image groups automatically be available on JSTOR? If so, when?
Yes. JSTOR will copy your Artstor image groups to your personal
Is there anything I need to do to ensure my image groups are copied to JSTOR?
To ensure they are included in the February copy event, you should create and/or finalize image
groups on Artstor by February 1, 2024. Image groups created after this date and changes to them
may not be included in the February copy event, but you can continue to
Will this affect my image groups on Artstor, and/or groups already copied to JSTOR?
No. This one-time copy event will not affect image groups on Artstor, nor will it affect images groups that you copy to
Will I be alerted when my image groups have been copied?
Yes, you will receive an email with
How will my copied groups appear in my JSTOR Workspace?
They will appear as folders in your
Will image group shared permissions be transferred from Artstor to the JSTOR Workspace folder?
Yes, if the image group owner's affiliated institution and group's institution shared permissions are the same institution, we will automatically reshare the new workspace folder with that institution on JSTOR.
What happens when an item is copied that isn't available on JSTOR?
You will receive a report listing any items that failed to copy due to being unavailable on JSTOR. When or if an item becomes available, it will automatically appear in the
What should I do if I make or edit an image group on Artstor after JSTOR has copied my image groups?
You can copy newly created or edited groups using our
If I have already copied an image group myself, will JSTOR copy it again?
Yes, all image groups that exist for a user on Artstor will be copied into a
Will personal collections be copied to Workspace?
- Log into Artstor.
- Open the “Browse” drop-down menu and select “Personal Collections.”
- Open the “Organize” drop-down menu and select “Select all on page” to select all images on the page.
- Select Save selections to a new group and choose a name for your new image group.
- Note: You can display up to 72 items per page. If you have more than this in your personal collection, repeat these steps for each page.
Can I find all of Artstor's licensed collections on JSTOR?
Approximately 99% of Artstor's licensed collections are
When will all of Artstor's licensed images and collections be available on JSTOR?
We are currently working to move the final 1% of Artstor licensed images over to JSTOR. We expect the majority to be republished in the coming months.
Is all the Public content from Artstor on JSTOR?
What is the timeline for having audio and video files on JSTOR?
|Advanced Image search||
|Save from thumbnail||
|Refine results sidebar||
|Pages of 24, 48, or 72 thumbnails||
|Compare mode with zoom (with and without metadata)||
||Collections browse page||
|Support for audio media||
|Support for video media||
|Support for panorama||
||Organize dropdown menu||
|Bulk move and/or delete||
|Download image group to PowerPoint||
|Download image group as Zip file||
Download a folder from your
|Full-screen Present mode||
|Compare images in Present mode||