The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland appears annually and is one of the leading peer-reviewed publications in its field. While it publishes articles on a wide range of topics, the principal subjects covered include: Irish archaeology – from the prehistoric through to the post-medieval periods, Irish history, literature and tradition up to the end of the seventeenth century, and the history of Irish antiquarianism, archaeology and historical study. The journal also contains reviews of other publications in these and related fields. The journal has been published continually since 1849 but has appeared under a series of different names as its parent Society itself evolved and changed see www.rsai.ie for details. The journal is distributed free to all members of the Society but is also available for sale to non-members.
The Society was founded in 1849 "To preserve, examine and illustrate all ancient monuments and memorials of the arts, manners and customs of the past, as connected with the antiquities, language, literature and history of Ireland." These aims are achieved today through the Society's annual programme of lectures, talks and excursions and by the publication of its journal, which is received by all members. The Society, through its council and country-wide membership, is actively involved in the preservation of our national heritage. Members are entitled to use the Society's library which contains books on Irish history, antiquities and archaeological and historical journals published in Ireland, Great Britain and on the continent.